Monday, February 23, 2009

Winter Wonderland

I realize that I stopped blogging prematurely last October. I totally meant to blog about my winter experiences here before I left last time, but I was so caught up in all hecticness, I just neglected the blog… So, I will now pick up from where I left off, in the heart of winter of Alaska…

Feb. 19, 2009

I'm back in Alaska, this time for vacation! The mountains looked whiter than ever from the plane. When I came out of the airport, I was greeted with steady snowfall, but it was surprisingly warm – 30!! I had missed the snow, and the mountains!

Since I’ve been here, X-country skiing has become a morning ritual. I had only skied once before many months ago, so I wasn't sure how much of what I had learned before would magically return to me. Let's just say that I am definitely not the smoothest skier by any means, but I thoroughly enjoy it!! Besides, I’m sure it is entertaining for those who just happen to look out of the window on these beautiful mornings!




I also ran into a Michigan man who spent hours ice-fishing but failed to catch anything! Now, that’s patience!
Feb. 21
Steph and I decided to go for a ski again on Sat morning. When I got up, it was 4.3 degrees! I put on an extra layer, and we went anyway - we just could not resist the gorgeous sunshine. Within a minute or so, my snot had become half frozen!

For the last few days, I have really enjoyed living a simple life. On weekdays, I go through my routine of a nice morning ski, reading my Bible, and then walking for an hour in the snow to a coffee shop called Sleepy Dog, so I can read and get the internet. It has been refreshing to live without the dependence on the internet or formal transportation. It has allowed me to appreciate God’s creation in a brand new way…


3 comments:

Jami Montagnino said...

Wow!!! What an amazing experience! I can't imagine being able to make skiing a "morning ritual". Too cool what God can do with us normal kids :) Thanks for the updates. I started a blog recently too. Great way to keep up with you!

ashleigh said...

Gorgeous! Glad you are having fun! Look forward to more pictures....

ashleigh said...

Wonderful photos, Shuey! Love the morning routine :) May you continue to delight in God's beautiful creation 'up there'!
Love,
Mrs. Burke