Saturday, August 9, 2008

Arrival

After 33 hours, I finally arrived in the Last Frontier! It seemed as if my trip here was filled with 'whatever could go wrong went wrong', but the Lord remained faithful and provided everything I needed and more. When I look back, I cannot help but laugh at the whole experience.


I was greeted at the Anchorage airport by Jon and Linda. I had communicated with these friends of the Sarazens (friends from SAE) via phone and e-mail for the past several months. It was nice to finally put faces to their voices. We walked out of the airport, it was 65 degrees - my sweat glands were ecstatic!! I knew I was in a very different place. I liked it instantly. Jon and Linda then invited me to Mexican food with some of their friends before catching a concert in town. I didn't really have any plans, so I agreed to go and meet some new friends and eat my 4th meal of the day...since it was 9:30 ET. During dinner, I learned that I had officially become a 'Chichago'. The story behind it is that when the Natives met some 'Americans' way back when, they were from Chicago. But the Natives could not say 'Chicago' - they called them 'Chichago' instead. Supposedly, anyone newly arrived in Alaska is now considered a 'Chichago'. True story or not, I think it's a nice story. :-)


After dinner, we went to hear one of my favorite bands play - Casting Crowns, who had come all the way from Georgia. Or I could say that I came all the way from Columbia to see them. They were the last people I had expected to see, but it was nice to see something familiar in an unfamiliar place. Jon and Linda then drove me to the house in Palmer, which I will be house sitting for the next two weeks.


Scenery on the way to Palmer


The house is a fairly new house on a street named Hay Wagon Way. It was 10:15 pm Alaska time when I got 'home', but the sun was still up, so I decided to take a walk and explore the 'neighborhood' (at 2:15 am ET). It was so peaceful in the neighborhood. Understandably so - everyone with children was probably in bed or getting ready for bed, but it felt so early to me. The 'neighborhood' is very unique. It was built on a large farmland, and the streets aren't exactly structured. But the view is amazing! I walked around until sunset at 10:50 pm.


The 'Neighborhood'...at 10:30 pm


View from the Front Yard


View From the Backyard


I woke up this morning, not exactly sure where I was. It was misty and drizzly, but the sun had been up since well before 6 am. I checked the thermometer - 48.5 degrees. I decided to go for a run. It's so much nicer to run without the heat and humidity. Palmer and Wasilla are part of the Mat-Su Valley (short for Matanuska-Susitna). People here just call it the Valley. I have noticed that no matter where I am or which direction I turn, I seem to be facing mountains most of the time.


Compared to SC, everything is expensive here - the cheapest gas in town is $4.41/gallon. For the most part, the items in the grocery store are the same, but the origin of those itmes is different. Navel oranges are from Australia instead of Florida. And many other things had been imported from the 'East'.

That's all for now. Time for some Olympics action. I will continue to keep you posted as much as I can. Thank you for all of your prayers.


Shuey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful! What an amazing photographer you are!! It sounds cold up there! Hope you have your jacket!!

ashleigh said...

Wow! I would love to wake up to those mountains! Glad you are there safely!

Unknown said...

Shoe!!!!! I am soo jealous! It is so beautiful!!! I am so happy for you!! I will be praying for you! I enjoyed your blog, it was very well written. I could visualize my little shoe jogging in the quiet streets of Alaska.

Anyway, now that you're in Alaska you will be my little eskimo friend!! :)

Well, I miss you and hope you have tons of fun. I will talk to you soon!

~Corinne

Charis Taylor said...

Shuey, pics are lovely. . . glad you're enjoying the scenery and weather :-) Baby Landon was born sunday night around midnight. . . bethany did great and lucy loves him. . . we miss you! Have a great time.
Charis