Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Fair

The Alaska State Fair takes place in Palmer every August. It sounded like a lot of fun – and Alaska is turning 50!


Fireworks were planned for just about every night.


Governor Palin was also supposed to be at the Fair to hand out the new Alaska quarters to the kids. Well, she never came, since she was recently chosen as John McCain’s running mate.
I was definitely most excited about the food! I had been looking forward to this annual artery-clogging event for months!
Staci and I had fried halibut
Kristen and Sarah had giant turkey legs


Don't worry, they didn't serve huskies...
Then I had oysters
Then Kristen and I had corn fritters and fried cheesecake...And of course, who could resist the Denali cream puffs?
Again, the giant cream puffs with various toppings!
The flower exhibit

Of course, I could not leave the flower exhibit without looking at the sunflowers
Next stop - animals!! I was hoping for polar bears, or grizzlies, or caribou...but I guess this is the best they could do... :-)

After walking around for a few hours, my legs were very tired. While I was waiting for my friends, I found the nearest available place to sit down. It just turned out to be the 'Planned Parenthood' table, and no one was manning the booth at the time...

The pumpkin got an earful!

Our last stop was the giant vegetables
The hugest cabbages I've ever seen


Giant pumpkin
I had a great time at the fair. But of course, I woke up this morning and went for an extra long run! :-)

3 comments:

ashleigh said...

The picture of you "teaching" the pumpkin about planned parenthood cracked me up! :) And those cabbages were HUGE! Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

HH,

Those pics of the fair are incredible. All that food made me hungry . . . especially the giant cream puffs. Can you bring me and Tim some of those? And that flower display was incredible. We'll trade you your movies back for cream puffs and flowers. J/K Thanks for posting the pics. We're ready to come visit your igloo whenever you'll have us.

Shuey said...

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for those cream puffs...it was good, I'm not going to lie!! :-) I'm currently working on the igloo, will let you and Tim know when it's ready for visitors...

By the way, Ash, the Alaskans would say that this summer has been cold and more rainy than usual, so the cabbages are smaller than usual... ;-)