Saturday, August 16, 2008

Anchorage

Anchorage is about 50 miles southwest of Palmer - roughly a one-hour commute. I spent all day Wednesday in Anchorage, but six of those hours were in the operating room in an orthopedic surgery center. After observing 7 surgeries, my work day ended at 3 o'clock, which meant I had quite a few hours to explore.


Downtown

The couple for whom I am house-sitting had left me a big SUV, so I had thrown a bike in the back of the SUV, just in case I had extra time at the end of the day - which I did. So I went on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail - an 11-mile trail along the Knik Arm and Cook Inlet. I wasn't sure how much I was able to bike on the old Huffy, since it weighs a ton, literally, but I thought I'd try anyway. I was also quite amused by several cross-country 'roller-skiers' on the trail.

Westchester Lagoon
Downtown Anchorage through the berry bushes


Apparently, wildlife has been abundant on the trail, including a few bear maulings. I did not see any. Old Huffy was not the most comfortable thing to sit on for a long period of time, but perhaps its squeakiness made my presence known to the animals in the wooded areas. I was prepared with my bear spray though.
Trail in the woods
Self-portrait on the bike
(kids, please do not try this at home!)

I ended up biking 16 miles roundtrip. It was then time to grab some dinner and head back to Palmer. Of course, I was up for trying something new, as always. So, I went to a local deli and ordered reindeer stew - quite delicious! Santa's reindeer!?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are having Waaay too much fun w/o me! :) Love the pics! And love hearing about your adventures. I want to see a pic of a grizzly bear before you come back...just maintain your distance. :) :) ha!