Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More 'Mounds'

While I'm not quite ready to go up Bear Mountain yet, I have discovered a few other trails in the Valley. One of them is called Lazy Mountain. Unlike what its name suggests, Lazy is anything but lazy. It has approximately the same elevation as Bear. The second half of the trail was mainly alpine tundra, or rocks and gravel, which made it slippery.




A race takes place every July on Lazy Mountain and the neighboring Matanuska Peak. Avid runners (or I should say crazy people) endure this 14 mile race of 9000 ft elevation gain. Some other mountain races (as long as 24 miles) completely blow my mind because a regular marathon is impossible enough for most people, add thousands of feet of elevation to that... That’s just absolutely crazy!


Anyways, my friend Carolyn, Kavi the German shepherd and I hiked up to the top. It was absolutely beautiful, even with the cloudy sky!

I left my mark in the guestbookThe view from the top



Kavi - the ultimate mountain racer!

On our way down, Carolyn started running, so I thought I would give this skipping and bouncing from side to side stuff a shot. I was cautious, but I must say, it had worked rather well. It was amazing to watch Carolyn run down the steep slope – a few blinks and she was out of sight. She had to slow down and wait on me a couple of times to make sure I didn’t get pummeled by a bear. Surprisingly, I was able to keep my legs under me and not tumble down the hill.


Another trail I discovered is ‘the Butte’. It has become my favorite trail, mainly because it is fairly animal-safe. Moose are spotted occasionally, but no bears!!


View from top of the Butte

Me

2 comments:

ashleigh said...

My question is this: do they climb these mounds in the winter time?

Shuey said...

Yes, even when it's 10 below with snow/ice on the trail... if it's icy, then they'd wear crampons, which are spiky ice climbing shoes. And not just mounds, but real mountains like Mt. McKinley... They're serious!!