Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Roadtrip to Alaska: Day 16 - Day 19


Day 16 (1/7): Vancouver, BC --> Bellingham, WA

No rain was in the forecast, so I took a long walk to Queen Elizabeth Park. It was chilly, but the air was so crisp! QE Park was one of my most vivid memories from my last visit to Vancouver 16 years ago...it offered a great view of the city.



I don't think I'd ever seen black squirrels...until now... On my way back, a couple of workers were putting up Olympic signs...
Can't wait!
Before heading back to the U.S., I thought I'd get my last bubble tea in probably a long long while!
Time to say goodbye to Vancouver!

Day 17 (1/8): Bellingham, WA... and Aboard the Ferry

It was Emily Edgren's birthday, and it was raining in Bellingham! But, rainy days make some of the coolest clouds sometimes...like today!

While waiting for the ferry, I stopped by Colophon's Cafe (recommended by Mandie) and had their signature peanut soup! It was yummy, even for someone who doesn't really like peanuts...haha!
Time to load my vehicle!
Waiting in lane 9...behind my new friend Suzanne - who beat me with her Florida license plate! :-)
After a few hours, we finally got to "load" our vehicles
I guess they had some major mechanical repair work to do, since we ended up having a 6 hr delay...glad they fixed the problems, though. It was a cold, quiet night at the harbor.

Day 18 (1/9): Aboard Malaspina

After a night of toss and turning, I woke up at sea the next morning. It was still raining, but I needed some fresh air...

Car Deck - we were only allowed on the car deck during open car deck call, which was usually twice a day...
Recliner Lounge - the sleeping area of my choice
(sorry Ash B, if you were expecting a lounge of Lazy Boys...haha) :-)
Some brave souls slept out in the Solarium... (not me! ha!)
It was raining the whole time...and the clouds in the mountains were breathtaking.


Day 19 (1/10): Ketchikan, Alaska
After being at sea for 2 days, I arrived at my new temporary home...greeted by lots and lots of rain!!!! Surprise!!! :-)
And my journey concludes here... for now!

4 comments:

ashleigh said...

I'm disappointed. I WAS expecting lazyboys! Glad you made it there safely--love following your adventures!

Emily said...

Aw, thanks for the bday shout-out Shuey! I just now caught up with reading about your travels...sounds so awesome...and the bubble tea looked delicious!

Jami Montagnino said...

You are so brave to be traveling across the country, and it's so awesome you get to see all these things! Thanks for keeping us updated :)

Shuey said...

Thanks guys!!!

And Jami - umm...so who left the country to go play basketball (or rugby) with large European women?? Now that's brave!! Haha!